Info for Students
The IT’s Your Career project is a program aimed at giving successful applicants a start towards a career in the ICT industry by learning about our industry, hearing guest lectures and doing a School Based Traineeship with an ICT employer.
Entry is competitive, so after you’ve gone through the necessary checks and interview process, you’ll need to convince the panelists that you have the interest and abilities to be placed with one of our host employers.
You’ll work through the Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology while you work a day or two per week for an ICT member employer
The idea is that you’ll graduate with experience and basic skills which will help you to take your next step in ICT.
Registrations for the 2016 IT’s Your Career program are now open! Click on this link to apply.
What’s in it for me?
Real life, on-the-job experience in an ICT member workplace while you work towards your qualification. Supervisors and mentors are there to back you up and help you achieve success.
Combine WHAT you know with WHO you know.
You’ll get the chance to develop a strong network in the ICT industry.
What is a School Based Traineeship?
Years 10, 11 or 12 combine study towards their Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE) with employment and completing a Nationally Recognised Qualification. The qualification will be a Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology.
Qualification. In this case, the qualification will be a Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology.
Is this a free lunch?
No such thing, sorry. There are obligations and responsibilities that you’ll need to sign onto if you are successful in gaining a place in IT’s Your Career.
Where do I sign?
- If you gain a place in the Project, you’ll need to sign into a Training Contract. This is a formal agreement between yourself, your employer, TasTAFE, your school and (sometimes) your parents. You must commit to attending college and TasTAFE as required in your course programs. You’ll be required to work for a minimum of 7.5 hours up to a maximum of 15 hours per week during school term (you may pick up additional work during the holidays).
- You must commit to attending college and TasTAFE as required in your course programs.
- You’ll be required to work for a minimum of 7.5 hours and a maximum of 15 hours per week during school term (you may pick up additional work during the holidays if it works out).
- We need you to fully participate at all events associated with the project.
- Keep everyone in the loop if stuff changes.
I’m into details. Can I have some more please?
Check out the official Australian School Based Traineeships website for all of the rules and regs.
If you have any questions, contact ITsyourcareer@tasict.com.au